The ketogenic diet is a low-carb and high-fat diet that has various fitness and health benefits. According to some studies, a keto-type diet helps lose weight. A Keto diet can help lose weight and improve the overall health of a person. Ketogenic diets have various benefits against cancer, diabetes, epilepsy, and Alzheimer’s disease. In this article, we will discuss the keto diet for beginners, including the keto diet meal plan and the foods you should eat.
What is Keto Diet?
The ketogenic diet has a low-carb and high-fat diet that shares many similarities. This diet helps in reducing the intake of carbohydrates and replacing them with fat. This reduction in carbs helps to take your body into a metabolic state which is known as ketosis.
In the ketosis state, your body becomes efficient at burning fat. It also turns fat into ketones in the liver, which is useful in supplying energy for the brain. Also, this diet may prove useful for significant reductions in insulin levels and blood sugar. And you will get various health benefits, along with the increased ketones.
Precautions Before Starting Keto Diet
If you are on diabetic medications that cause blood sugar levels low, then there are controversies and myths about a keto diet. However, for most people, it appears to be very safe. If people don’t know what they should eat according to their health condition, then the risk is higher.
Therefore it is essential to know the adequate amount of fat and vitamins you intake. In case anyone consumes excessive amounts of saturated fats, then it can increase the risk of heart disease. Therefore doctor consultation and proper knowledge are necessary before following a keto diet meal plan because you may need to avoid the keto diet if you are breastfeeding and have any major medical history.
Weekly Keto Diet Plan for Beginners
- Breakfast- Scrambled eggs with butter with avocado.
- Snack- For snack use sunflower seeds.
- Lunch- In lunch, you can intake spinach salad with grilled salmon.
- Snack- For an evening snack, pepper strips and celery are dipped in guacamole.
- Dinner- In dinner, you can have pork chop with cauliflower mash and red cabbage slaw.
- Breakfast- Bulletproof coffee of butter and coconut oil and hard-boiled eggs.
- Snack- Macadamia nuts.
- Lunch- Tuna salad in stuffed tomatoes.
- Snack- Sliced cheese roll-ups and roast beef.
- Dinner- In dinner, meatballs on zucchini noodles with cream sauce.
- Breakfast- For breakfast, eat cheese and veggie omelet topped with salsa.
- Snack- You can take two hard-boiled eggs.
- Lunch- Sashimi takeout with miso soup.
- Snack- Almond milk Smoothie. And add some greens, almond butter, and protein powder to your snack diet.
- Dinner- Sautéed mushrooms and roasted chicken with asparagus.
- Breakfast- In breakfast, you can intake a smoothie made with almond milk, greens, almond butter, and protein powder.
- Snack- Get plain, full-fat greek yogurt, ie. topped with crushed pecans.
- Lunch- Chicken tenders made with almond flour with cucumbers and goat cheese.
- Snack- For snacks, consider sliced cheese and bell pepper slices.
- Dinner- For dinner, grilled shrimp topped with a lemon butter sauce is best.
- Breakfast- Bacon with a fried egg and some greens.
- Snack- walnuts with ¼ cup of berries.
- Lunch- Grass-fed burger with avocado and salad.
- Snack- For evening snacks, celery sticks dipped in almond butter.
- Dinner- Baked tofu with broccoli, cauliflower rice, and peppers, topped with a homemade peanut sauce.
- Breakfast- Do breakfast with baked eggs in avocado cups.
- Snack- Kale chips.
- Lunch- Poached salmon avocado rolls with seaweed included.
- Snack- Meat-based bars (turkey or pork) are best for snacks.
- Dinner- Take Grilled beef kebabs and sautéed broccolini.
- Breakfast- Eat eggs scrambled with veggies. However, you can also top it with salsa.
- Snack- Dried seaweed strips and cheese.
- Lunch- Sardine salad.
- Snack- Turkey jerky. (sugar-free)
- Dinner- Take Broiled trout and sautéed bok choy.
Keto Diet Types
There is the various version of the ketogenic diet on the basis of which you should intake keto diet foods such as:-
- The Standard ketogenic diet (SKD): It includes a diet having very moderate protein, low carb, and a high-fat diet. Also, it contains 10% carbs, 70% fat, and 20% protein.
- The Cyclical ketogenic diet (CKD): This diet is taken in various periods of higher-carb refeeds, like two high carb days and then five ketogenic days.
- The Targeted ketogenic diet (TKD): In fact, this diet allows you to add carbs with workouts.
- High Protein ketogenic diet: It’s like a standard ketogenic diet but includes more protein. And, the ratio should be like 60% fat, 35% protein, and 5% carbs in your diet.
However, cyclical or targeted ketogenic diets are considered advanced methods. Therefore, they are usually used by bodybuilders or athletes.
What is Ketosis?
Ketosis is a metabolic state of the body in which fat or fuel instead of carbs. Generally, this occurs when you significantly reduce limit your body’s supply of glucose, consumption of carbohydrates, which is the main source of energy for the cells.
By following a ketogenic diet, our body can enter ketosis effectively. Generally, it limits the carb consumption per day and is filled with fats, such as meat, fish, eggs, nuts, and healthy oils.
Can a Keto Diet Help Me Lose Weight?
According to research on keto, a diet meal plan can induce rapid weight loss. Also, research has shown that a ketogenic diet can help in rapid weight loss. According to a 2019 review of low-carb diets, the weight loss effect becomes similar to various dietary approaches after one year. Also, if you take less energy than you burn, it will lead to weight loss.
Other Benefits of Keto Diet
- Other common benefits of the keto diet for beginners include:
- Weight loss and maintenance
- Blood glucose control
- Reducing dependence on diabetes medication
- Improve Insulin sensitivity
- High blood pressure control
- Improve Cholesterol levels
- Stronger mental performance
READ NEXT: Autoimmune Protocol Diet |Detailed Guide
The Keto diet has immense health benefits of low carb and ketogenic diets. Also, this diet not only improves cholesterol level, blood pressure, and blood sugar, but the keto diet meal plan is also helpful in reducing your weight and lowering your triglycerides. You can consider it after consulting your doctor about your medical history and plan to follow a keto diet for beginners.